Overview of the RP Filters Trial:
RTT was invited to conduct a trial for a trailer manufacturer to see if any of the RTT RP filters could be used in the current process.
The objective was to not just offer an equivalent filtration, but to offer a superior product- one that would be possibly more efficient, have a longer working lifespan, and ultimately achieve an overall cost reduction for the manufacturer.
Coatings applied were a Zinc Urethane Prime and a 2K Automotive Polyurethane Top Coat.
Evaluation of Current Filtration:
The air filtration being utilized was a Dual Layer, Polyester Blanket 48”x108”. The RTT booth where the testing was conducted consumed approximately ten blankets each filter change. The performance of the filter seemed to face load very easily, increasing the filter’s resistance and shortening the available production time the filter could be utilized. Average lifespan of the air filter was 2 shifts, an approximate production of 8 units.
Testing Procedures of RTT RP filters:
• All the RP filters tested were constructed of expanded paper layers with a poly backing. The layering of the paper as well as the poly density changed from model to model.
• Filter size tested was 45”x108” blankets and approximately 10 blankets were used to change out the exhaust filters in the booth.
• Once all exhaust filters had been replaced, the booth pressure was balanced by the exhaust fan speed to achieve 0.0” w.c. pressure in the booth environment. The exhaust fan speeds were adjusted to maintain the set point during the duration of the testing.
• A test panel was placed behind the 1st stage of filtration and in front of the 2nd stage of filtration to give a visual indication of particulate migration through the filter media.
• Airflow calculations were taken to determine the velocity at which the airflow is traveling through the filtration.
• Filter pressure readings were recorded initially with clean filters and then after each coating process, to measure the loading and restriction of the filter media.
• Second shift filter resistance was only recorded after the completion of the shift.
• The above steps were repeated for each model of RP filter (RP3300, W50, W51, W52)
Results of Filter Testing:
Once all testing was complete for all four models of RP filters, it was apparent that any of these air filters could be used in this production environment. The filters after the first 16 hours of production time were removed but the percentage of filter that was loading was minimal.
Since the current filtration being used has only the 16 hour production window, it is apparent that the RP filtration will last at a minimum of twice as long in production. This means that instead of the average 8 units a day (2 shifts), the RP filtration will run without change out for a minimum of 16 units.
However; the W52 series of filtration was left in place after our initial testing and ran for a total of 12 shifts (6 days). The W52 is the highest capacity filter that was tested but it is expected the other series of filters will achieve slightly shorter but similar results.
The below chart is to help show the financial impact of the different filters tested as well as a comparison to the currently used filtration.
The figured constants for the chart are as follows:
• 10 Gallons of coating are applied during a single process
• The production rate is 4 completed units in an 8 hour shift
• Filter Change out required 3 men @ $25.00/hr. for 45 minutes
RTT recommended that the W5200 Series of RP filters be used as the 1st stage filtration. The extended service moves this filter model well ahead of the others and will save the customer over $15,000 per year in filter purchases and labor to change out/install. The time saved by not changing filters daily allowed for an additional coating to be applied during the time historically spent changing filters. Disposal of filtration was not discussed in the Financial Impact section but disposal waste was reduced by over 25% yearly with the use of the W5200 filters.
It is recommended that the W-Series filters be utilized especially in the RTT spray booth as the use of these filters will extend the warranty of the booth for 5-years. Although, the use of the W-Series RP filters did not affect any warranty for the other four booths in production, the increased lifespan and financial saving were multiplied for each.
Current – RP3300 – W50 – W51 after 16 Hours with Clean Version
Completely loaded W5200 Series.
Brand new W5200 Series install.
Not Sure What yOU Need?
Have questions or need help in choosing the right RTT RP Arrestors filter for your needs? Reach out and we will be happy to assist you.